Frequently Asked Questions

Adult Residential Care at Wiley Hall.

What happens when my loved one needs a higher level of care?

As needs change for your loved one, our staff will conduct an evaluation to determine the level of care needed. Assistance will be provided if placement is warranted.

My loved one is unable to walk the distance to the dining room. Can they use a wheelchair or personal motorized vehicle?

Individuals can use walkers, wheelchairs or motorized chairs in Wiley Hall. They will however need to use the chair independently. Residents living on the 2nd and 3rd floors need to be able to use the stairs in case of an emergency.

Can we cook in our rooms?

No. All meals are provided by our kitchen and wait staff in our large central dining room. Microwaves are available in the lounges at the end of each hall.

Can we continue to handle our own medications?

Yes, as long as your physician certifies that it is safe to do so. We can provide assistance with medications by our personal care aides.

Can our loved one get assistance with bathing?

We will provide assistance with all aspects of daily care, including bathing and dressing.

Do you provide dementia care?

As long as your loved one can function at the Adult Residential Care, dementia alone will not prevent them from residing in Wiley Hall. We do offer specialized activity programs for our residents who are affected by dementia. Wiley Hall is equipped with a secure care system for individuals who may wander.

How will my loved one get to doctor’s appointments?

The Masonic Care Community has a full time medical staff that includes two Board Certified Geriatricians. If a Wiley resident needs to see a specialist, transportation will be provided and a personal care aide will accompany them as needed.

Do residents have to do their own housekeeping?

Housekeeping services are provided at Wiley Hall. Laundry facilities are located on each floor, and residents have the choice of doing their own laundry or having our staff assist them.

Frequently Asked Questions about Acacia Home Care.

What services does Acacia Home Care provide?

  • Intermittent Skilled Nursing Care: This is care that requires the skill of a licensed nurse to be done safely and correctly. The services are short term and require that there be an end date to care. The licensed nurse provides education to allow you to be more independent for yourself.
  • Physical therapy: Physical therapy includes exercise to regain movement, strength, and improve safety in the home. The Physical Therapist also assesses the home for adaptive equipment that you may need to be safe within your home.
  • Speech-language Therapy: Speech-language therapy is exercise to help you speak more easily and clearly. Speech Therapy can also assist in improving swallowing difficulties.
  • Occupational Therapy: Occupational therapy helps you do daily activities by yourself, such as eating, dressing or bathing safely.
  • Medical Social Services: These services can help you with social and emotional concerns related to your illness. For example, you might need counseling or help finding resources in your community. 
  • Dietary: A registered Dietician can come to your home to provide education on new diet restrictions you may have.
  • Home Health Aid: A Home Health Aid can assist you with personal care including bathing, dressing, and making meals.

I live alone and can’t care for myself. Will Medicare pay for 24-hour-a-day home health care?

No. Medicare pays for occasional or intermittent home health care, but not for around-the-clock home health care.

How Do I qualify for Home Health Care?

  • You have to be considered homebound (see below for definition.)
  • You have to have a primary physician that will sign home care orders
  • You have to have a skilled need
  • You have to be self directed

When is an individual homebound?

An individual does not have to be bedridden to be considered homebound. However, the condition of these patients should be such that there is an inability to leave home and leaving home would require a considerable and taxing effort. If a patient drives, he/she would not be considered homebound.

Please note that the homebound criteria are NOT met when:

  • Frequent absences from the home are for social reasons, for shopping or employment; or
  • The patient attends adult day care for non-medical reasons.

What is considered a skilled need?

A skilled need is a task that would require the skill of a licensed clinician to provide service safely and correctly.

What is the definition of self directed?

The consumer is able to independently make decisions and direct their care. It gives the consumer the ability to determine their own needs as well as the freedom to decide how and by whom to meet these needs.

Does Home Health provide medications?

No, medications are not provided by the home health agency. Under Medicare we can provide certain supplies for example dressing supplies for wound care or ostomy supplies.

Where exactly can Home Health services be provided?

Home Health services are provided in what is considered to be the client’s home. This could be a private home, assisted living, residential care home, etc. Home Care services would not be provided in a skilled nursing facility because skilled services are provided directly from the facility.

Is my physician still in charge of my care when I am on Home Health Services?

Yes, your physician or the physician that has ordered home health services is in charge of your care. Home Health services can not be provided without a physician’s order and an approved plan of care by the physician. You will be included in forming a plan to reach your healthcare goals.

How do I pay for home care?

Acacia Home Care will obtain your insurance information and contact your insurance company for you. The staff at Acacia Home Care will obtain personalized preauthorization for you.

You will sign consents for Acacia Home Care to provide services and will know any copays or costs up front.

We also have services that you will have the option to pay privately for such as Home Health Aid services.

Does Medicare cover Acacia Home Care services?

Yes, your physician must certify that you are homebound and that you require skilled intermittent nursing care, physical therapy and/or speech therapy.

Do other insurances cover Acacia Home Care services?

Many insurance companies cover home care services in full.  Prior to the initial visit, your insurance coverage will be verified and, if necessary, personalized prior authorization will be obtained.  At your initial visit, your home care benefits will be discussed with you, or you can contact our office with any questions you have.

Will there be any out- of-pocket expenses for Acacia Home Care services?

At your initial visit our staff will advise you if your insurance requires any co-pays, co-insurance or if there is a deductible to be met.  You can contact our office with any questions you may have.

Can I privately pay for Acacia Home Care services?

For those who are not eligible for Medicare benefits or are not covered by private insurance, expenses for home care services can be paid by the individual or his or her family.

How do I pay for Acacia Home Care?

Acacia Home Care will obtain your insurance information and contact your insurance company for you. The staff at Acacia Home Care will obtain personalized preauthorization for you.

You will sign consent forms  for Acacia Home Care to provide services and will know any co-pays or costs up front.

We also have services that you will have the option to pay privately for such as Home Health Aid services.

Frequently Asked Questions about Child Care.

Are all childcare centers the same?

All childcare centers are not the same, we recommend that you schedule a tour of our facility so we can show you all that we have to offer you and your family.

What are the necessary credentials for being a childcare provider?

The Director of the Center requires a Bachelors Degree with credits in Early Childhood/related field or a NYS Children’s Program Administrator Credential along with supervisory experience. Teachers require an Associates Degree in the Childhood field or CDA with experience. The Infant Teacher has same requirements as a Teacher including 1 yr of specific experience in Infant/Toddler care. Assistant Teachers require a high school diploma/experience working with children.

Can I visit my child on my lunch hour?

At Masonic, we have an open door policy; allowing parents to stop in anytime during center hours.

What type of meals and snacks are provided?

Masonic meals are planned by a Registered Dietician and follow the guidelines of the Child and Adult Care Food Program. Breakfast, Lunch and afternoon Snack are all well balanced and nutritional.

Is there any extra cost for meals? If my child has allergies, can I bring my own food?

There is no extra cost for meals; they are included in the tuition rate. If a child has allergies, you will need to provide the center with a medical note stating the type of allergy and if food products will need to be substituted. It will be the parent’s responsibility to provide their child with the substituted products.

If my child is on a special diet either for medical or religious reasons, can these food concerns be followed?

Any child on a special diet will need a medical note stating the exact diet required and what procedures to follow concerning specific foods. Any child with religious food restrictions needs to provide the center with a note stating the exact restrictions.

Is the Center licensed by a state or federal agency? The center is licensed through New York State Office of Children and Family Services, (OCFS)

Do you have a safety plan regarding fire?

The center participates in monthly fire drills which follow all state rules and regulations. During the winter months drills are still performed on days that are weather friendly.

How can I be sure that my child will not be allowed to leave with anyone other than myself or a person I designate?

The Center is a secure facility with a camera/intercom entry. All families are given pick up cards to assign to the necessary person/s who will be allowed to pick up their child/ren. If the designated person/s does not provide the teacher with the required pick-up-card/license, the child will not be released until verbal confirmation from the parent is made.

Is there any financial assistance available?

Families are welcome to contact their Department of Social Services within the county of which they reside to see if they qualify for financial assistance.

Which days are the center closed?

The center is closed for the following holidays:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving
  • Christmas

If the holiday falls on a Saturday, we will be closed the Friday before and if the holiday is on a Sunday we will be closed the following Monday.

What are the methods used by the staff to communicate with the parents?

The staff encourages open communication with families through phone calls, parent meetings, and communication logs which are provided in each room for parents to leave messages for teacher’s.

Can Masonic Child Care Center, administer medication?

The center is licensed to administer medications to children who are taking a controlled substance or emergency medications for an on-going medical condition that would require emergency treatment, as authorized by the child’s physician. ONLY staff who are MAT certified my administer medication. We DO NOT administer over-the-counter medication.

Can children be in daycare when they are ill? What are your guidelines?

Children are not to attend childcare if they are sick, parents will be contacted to pick up their child within the hour should they become ill while at the Center. For a more detailed guideline please call the Office.

How often do you go outside?

State regulations require the children to go outdoors everyday, weather permitting. If you feel your child is too ill to participate outdoors with their class, they should not attend.

How can I pay for child care?

Masonic Child Care Center offers many options for families to make tuition payments. Employees and Mason’s children are eligible for tuition discounts. You may pay by cash, check, Direct Deposit, PayPal or credit/debit cards (accepted through PayPal).